- Welcome to the the Ernest Cole Photographic Award.The award, named after courageous documentary photographer Ernest Cole, has been established to stimulate creative work in photography in Southern Africa. The award offers the winning photographer R150 000 with which to work on a photographic project of their choice with emphasis on human rights and social change. The Award is managed by the University of Cape Town Libraries.
- Key points highlighted in the Workshops
- Updates regarding the Workshops
- Ernest Cole Award Workshops – May 2013
- Closing date for the 2013 Ernest Cole Award competition announced
- A synopsis of ‘Life under Democracy’
- Ernest Cole Inaugural Award Exhibition and Book Launch – Johannesburg
- Ilan Godfrey announced as the 2012 winner of the Ernest Cole Award
- 2012 Award Submissions closed
- Questions received around submitting for the 2012 Award
- One month to go before submissions close for the 2012 Award
Author Archives: claire
Register now for the Photojournalism and Documentary Photography Programme
Durban Art Gallery, the Hasselblad Foundation and the Embassy of Sweden take
pleasure in inviting you to the opening of the exhibition ERNEST COLE PHOTOGRAPHER
Sunday 24 July 2011, at 14.00
Durban Art Gallery, 2nd floor, City Hall, Anton Lambede Street (formerly
Smith) in Gallery 2
Dale Yudelman’s career in photography has led him through two eras of South African history as well as across several continents. Born in Johannesburg, he began photographing at a young age under the tutelage of his father and was barely out of his teens in 1979 when he landed a job as staff photographer at South Africa’s largest daily newspaper The Star. In 1986 Yudelman left South Africa – working as a freelance photographer first in London and later in Los Angeles., he returned to South Africa in 1996 and currently lives and works in Cape Town.
Congratulations to Dale Yudelman, the first winner of the newly established Ernest Cole Award for photography in South Africa. On the 30 June the adjudication committee chose his project – “From the Hip”, from a final selection of five entries.
The Ernest Cole Exhibition at the Iziko South African National Gallery officially opened on Friday 25 Feb. This wonderful event also served as the official announcement of the Ernest Cole Award for photographers in South Africa.
The room was filled with good music, fine food and familiar faces, some of whom you might recognise in the photos!